Underride Truck Accidents
Portland attorneys you can trust
Underride truck accidents occur when a passenger vehicle crashes into the back or side of a tractor trailer. The raised trailer design on most trucks allows just enough space for motor vehicles to get stuck or pinned, often resulting in a catastrophic accident. Underride truck accidents are the deadliest types of crashes involving large trucks. Once a passenger vehicle crashes under the trailer, the top portion gets crushed, resulting in severe and life-threatening injuries.
Zbinden & Curtis, Attorneys at Law has decades of experience serving Portland and handling underride truck accidents. With a vast amount of legal knowledge, we know how to build a strong case to maximize your compensation. Contact us today and find out how we can help you.
What causes underride accidents?
There are a number of factors leading to an underride truck accident. They usually include:
- Trucking company’s failure to equip or maintain reflective devices – Most underride accidents happen at night. This is usually due to lack of reflective devices on the trailer, making it less visible to passenger drivers.
- Trucking company’s failure to equip underride guards – Underride guards are designed to prevent passenger vehicles from being crushed under the trailer. Many trucking companies do not equip their vehicles with these devices. Sometimes, underride guards can prove to be defective and fail to prevent an underride accident.
- Truck driver pulls out into traffic – When a truck driver makes a left turn and pulls out into traffic, passenger vehicles may not be able to stop in time to avoid an accident. Smaller vehicles can be pinned under the side of the trailer.
- Truck driver suddenly slows down or stops – When a truck driver suddenly stops or slows down, passenger vehicle drivers may not have enough time to react, especially if they have been speeding.
- Passenger driver’s inability to stop due to hazardous weather – Slippery conditions, excessive rain, ice, snow and fog can make it difficult for passenger drivers to respond when a truck slows down or stops.
Our attorneys will investigate
Underride accidents are nothing to underestimate. Injuries sustained in these accidents are devastating and rarely survivable. If you or a loved one has been injured in an underride accident, it is important that you speak to an experience truck accident attorney who knows how to handle these cases.
If you have lost a loved one in an underride accident, you may be eligible for a wrongful death claim. You can be compensated for funeral expenses, loss of wages and additional hardships. Zbinden & Curtis, Attorneys at Law understand the pain and suffering a fatal underride accident can cause to the victim’s family. That is why we will aggressively launch an investigation and hold the driver – and their company – accountable for negligence.
Contact us today to schedule a free case evaluation. We will gladly discuss your options and help you on the road to recovery.